Frequently Asked Questions
Starting a new career or a new job means you have lots of questions. We asked our driver development program managers and driver recruiters what questions driver candidates ask the most. Chances are you’re wondering the same things.
How do I apply to be a Royal Connec Freight driver?
Easy. Review our Driver Jobs Page and you’ll find all the information you’ll need to apply.
How long does the application process take?
We receive many applications from around the country because we offer some of the most competitive pay and benefits in the LTL freight industry.
We know you want to get to work fast. If you’re not driving, you’re not making money. Our application process is streamlined and we get in touch with candidates as quick as humanly possible.
Qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview usually within 1 to 3 business days. When you’ll be behind the wheel depends on your experience.
What if I don’t have driving experience or a CDL?
Don’t worry. We offer tuition reimbursement, tuition-free training academies nationwide and dock to driver program in select cities.
How long does it take to get a CDL?
It generally takes 4-5 weeks to obtain your CDL. Once you’ve passed the test, you will spend 160 hours behind the wheel with an experienced driver.
Am I qualified if I have a DUI, violation or accident on my motor vehicle report (MVR)?
At a minimum, an applicant for a driving position must have:
- A safe driving record meeting all company qualifications.
- No more than one preventable accident within the last 36 months.
- No DUI within the last 36 months.
- Not more than two moving violations in the last 36 months.
- No more than one major preventable accident while driving a commercial vehicle.
If hired, what pay and benefits will I receive?
YRC Freight is known for having the best pay and benefits in the industry.
- 100% company-paid health care benefits and vacation time.
- Union contract pay rates: first-year road driver may earn up to $60,000 (paid by the mile), and P&D Drivers may earn an average of over $22 per hour.
- YRC Freight is the only company in the industry that pays road drivers an hourly rate should there be a breakdown or load delay.
Visit our benefits page for a full list.
How often will I get paid?
Weekly, via direct deposit, when allowed by law.
How much time will I spend away from home?
P&D drivers are home every night, and so are the majority of our road drivers.
Did I fill out the application correctly?
Our Human Resources team will review your application and contact you to schedule an interview if you meet the qualifications for the job you applied for. If your application is incomplete, someone from the Human Resource team will contact you to assist with the completion of your application.
If you would like to confirm that Royal Freight received your application or if you need additional assistance, call 877-249-2271 to speak with a recruiter.